The Week Junior launched two years ago and is now the UK’s fastest-growing children’s magazine. A pioneering current affairs magazine targeted at 8–14 year olds, it continues to win multiple awards and grow at a Dennis Publishing record-breaking rate. We’re now looking for an ambitious and talented designer to join our team.
Working with a busy editorial team, you'll have the opportunity to contribute across the entire creative process by not only designing the pages but offering suggestions and ideas to make them even better.
Working closely with the Art Editor on all pages of the magazine – and ad hoc projects related to The Week Junior – you will develop an already existing skill set to a high level.
Through your creativity and design input you will have the ability to influence how our audience will be engaged by the pages as a whole and you will play a key part in the approach of producing interesting content that clearly relates to the story.
- With a background in design on (ideally) a weekly or monthly newsstand publication, you will have a great understanding of typography, layouts and picture editing.
- You are bursting with ideas and confident enough to offer input in creative meetings.
- You are expert in using InDesign and Photoshop. Illustrator experience would be an advantage.
- You enjoy working on projects from inception to production, finding creative solutions under pressure and ensuring our strict deadlines are met.
- You combine strong organisation skills, attention to detail and creative and artistic flair.
- From time to time you may need to work hours that aren’t typical, so a flexible approach is required.
- You will have at least one year’s experience in a similar role.
At Dennis, we’re dedicated to creating brands that people want to work with, and a culture that people want to work in.
We’re unique, and so are you. You’ll enjoy a host of benefits and perks when you join us, and that’s not all:
- We’re award winning. You will be working across award-winning brands and in award-winning teams and joining a culture where innovation and success are encouraged.
- Our commitment. We’re very proud to work for the benefit of The Heart of England Forest; an exciting and ambitious charity aiming to plant and preserve the largest native broadleaf forest in England. Founded by our late chairman, Felix Dennis, every employee gets the chance to plant a tree in their name so you can feel part of our vision.
- We’re always thinking of you. You’ll have access to plenty of great benefits such as 28 days holiday, a contributory pension scheme and discounted gym membership.
- We recognise hard work. Have you always dreamed of taking time out of work to travel the world? You’ll be given the opportunity to take a 6 week paid sabbatical after five years service. And if you’re lucky enough to win our Employee of the Year Award you’ll be sent on a holiday of a lifetime courtesy of us.
- We know how to have fun. Whether it’s swotting up for one of our pub quizzes, creating a costume for our famous fancy dress parties or taking part in a fitness challenge as part of our annual charity day - we can guarantee you will share the enjoyment of life at Dennis.
Dennis does not discriminate. We’re just interested in your skills, your talent and your potential. So if you feel like this role is for you, please press apply now.